I am a professional freelance medical editor and writer with over 20 years of experience as a small-animal veterinarian. I speak the language of medicine, read research articles from a clinician’s point of view, and easily translate medical jargon for general audiences. I am a board-certified Editor in the Life Sciences and have earned a certificate in medical writing from the American Medical Writers Association.
My medical communications work includes the following:
- Writing summaries of recently published research
- Writing medical/veterinary news and feature articles
- Editing, writing, and fact checking pharmaceutical education and marketing materials
- Copyediting and proofreading practice guidelines, continuing education materials, and newsletters for professional medical societies
- Language editing for authors whose first language is not English
My undergraduate degree was in an interdisciplinary honors program that included coursework in both the humanities and sciences (excellent training in critical thinking and integration of broad concepts). I earned a doctorate in veterinary medicine from North Carolina State University, completed an internship in small animal medicine and surgery at Auburn University, and entered primary care practice. I founded my home-based medical writing business in 2014. I now work as a writer and editor full time and continue to see patients a few days a month. I am immensely lucky to make my living doing two things I love: working with words and caring for pets.